This Ramadan we are celebrating our one year anniversary by looking at what we have achieved in the past year and by sharing with you what we have in store for the remainder of 2021.
Our store started as a simple business idea that was meant to cater to the needs of the Muslim women in the Toledo community in 2019. It was launched as a formal clothing boutique and coffee shop in January of 2020 with the grand opening date for our storefront set for March of 2020. Then COVID-19 struck and like so many others, our life and our business was deeply impacted (socially, emotionally, financially, etc.). Despite the trauma, we are still here, and we have so much to be grateful for, so much to celebrate, and so much more to do!
In 2020 we were able to:
- Donate generously to 12 different charities monthly via our Coffee for a Cause Campaign!
- Partner with local Muslim Women in Business and launch the Modest Muslim Merchants Collective
- We have hosted over 40 weekly Coffee and Canvas events, painting Islamic Art while sipping Yemeni team… making Islamic Art affordable, fun, and an experience that Muslims can share with their children, friends, and family regardless of their ages.
- We have launched a small on site Islamic Library with a collection of more than 150 books, which local community member can access for free.
- Integrated our Podcast “Reclaiming Our Identity” and our Online Magazine “Iqama Magazine” with the Modest Muslim Market Website. We have 4 podcasts that have been recorded are are ready to share with the community.
- Helped to build the website for the Islamic Society of North West Ohio!
- Helped to volunteer to teach weekend Islamic courses for Islamic Society of North West Ohio
- Donated 100+ Islamic Canvas Paint Sets During Ramadan for families to enjoy for free.
- Distributed over 600 copies of the Qurans and the “Why Islam” Pamphlets for free to the greater North West Ohio community
- Featured in The Toledo Blade as the First Muslim Hijab Boutique to Open a Store Front in North West Ohio, and the Only Registered Business in the state of Ohio to contain the word “Muslim” in it in 2020. Sited in The Toledo Blade in 2021 as the First Muslim Clothing Boutique in Ohio and as the inspiration for 2 other clothing boutiques in the community, “Fully Covered” and “Hayat Modest Boutique”.
- Featured in CitiGirl Toledo! and part of the Multifaith Council of North West Ohio
- Launched our Custom Hand Made Yemeni Bukhoor Label (Arabian Oud: Bukhoor)
- Created Bukhoor Gift Sets and Custom Ramadan / Eid Gift Sets
- Celebrated 25 Years with @ZainBikhaOfficial as winners of his 2020 giveaway!
- Celebrated the Launch of Americas Islamic Radio in New York as the winners of their 2020 giveaway!
- Celebrated the Launch of the collaboration between Shireen Creates x Vans x Hedley & Bennett with the “Wake Up and Fight Mask” and the “Let Yourself Rest Mask”
- Achieved a full year of business with all 5 star customer reviews on google!
- Our biggest achievement is that we made a lot of new friends and are happy to call Toledo home!
We are looking forward to celebrating many more years with our family and friends in Toledo and around the world! Follow us on Instagram to get regular updates on our events and activities @modestmuslimmarket
Coming Soon this Fall: we have Partnered with Yaqeen Institute to bring an Islamic middle school and high school curriculum to NW Ohio! We are also developing an Islamic BuJo Class! If you are interested contact us to learn more: 419-491-4672, firstname.lastname@example.org